Topic: Lab Project Phase 1
Both Discussion Board assignments for this course relate directly to the lab project that is posted in the Course Content. This lab project poses the question, “Is there a relationship between frequency of church attendance and the level of understanding of basic Christian doctrine?” For your first DB forum, read the excerpt from an original article that appeared in the Baptist Message in August 2011 (Quarles, 2011), posted in the Course Content section. Then answer the following prompts.
Lab Project Excerpt
The following text is the basis for the Lab Project and Discussion Board Forums. The excerpt is taken from:
Quarles, C. (2011, August 18). Southern Baptists must learn to ‘choose our battles wisely.’ [Louisiana] Baptist Message.
You are not required to read the entire article, but if you wish to read it, it has been included in the Module/Week 3 Additional Materials folder.
“For the last three years, Louisiana College has administered a newly-developed BASE (Belief Assessment of Spiritual Essentials) exam to incoming freshmen to determine how well they understand the essential doctrines of the Christian faith.
These are not the lofty doctrines that only erudite ivory tower theologians discuss and debate in the back rooms of dusty libraries; these are essential gospel truths that a person must understand and believe to be considered truly Christian.
Such doctrines include humanity’s sinful and lost condition, Jesus’ identity as God, the necessity of faith in Jesus for salvation, and our Lord’s bodily resurrection.
Here are some of our discoveries:
· 78 percent believe that all people are basically good and have no real need for a Savior
· 65 percent cannot identify a simple definition of new birth in a multiple-choice question. They think that being ‘born again’ means experiencing reincarnation or transmigration in which a person who has died returns to earth in another life form so that they can make up for the sins of the past.
· 54 percent think that faith in Jesus is unnecessary for salvation. In their view, as long as a person believes in a god and has fallen in love with him, her, or it, he is right with that god.
· 42 percent believe that people go to heaven because of their personal morality rather than because of Jesus’ sacrificial death.
· 32 percent do not know that Christianity affirms the Deity of Jesus Christ, even though the NT repeatedly insists that faith in Jesus as God is necessary for salvation.
· 25 percent do not know that Christianity claims that Jesus literally rose from the dead.
Overall, our freshmen scored a 67 percent on the BASE exam, a failing grade, despite the fact that 90 percent of the college’s incoming freshmen claim to be Christians and nearly 60 percent of them grew up in our own Louisiana Baptist churches!”
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more